Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Charlotte Symphony Made This Newbie Feel Welcome


Listening to classical music isn't how I typically spend my Friday nights, but I couldn't resist an invitation to experience the Charlotte Symphony's KnightSounds. It's a more casual production for novices. I was like drinking in the symphony via a juice box rather than a full glass.

Friday's performance was "A Waltz To Remember." Roger Kalia conducted, Katherine Polit sang soprano and dancers from the Metropolitan Ballroom performed. The symphony played a variety of polkas and waltzes by Johann Strauss Jr.

I know this because Kalia explained each song to the audience throughout the performance. He even gave us a bit of history about the origins of the particular piece. I was surprised by the number of selections that sounded vaguely to familiar to me. I swear one of them reminded me of "We Are Santa's Elves."

If you're looking for a non-threatening introduction to the symphony, KnightSounds is for you. Kalia graciously explained the selections. Brief skits were interspersed throughout the show. The event finished with a dessert and champagne reception, in which Kalia offered a toast. The next one is A Night in New York, April 17-18. It will feature a free live outdoor plazacast showcasing the concert inside, as well as screens inside the theater showing various angles of the conductor and musicians. It's going to have rock concert style production. It sounds fun.







Holla: sipandplayclt@gmail.com

0 comments: