Thursday, May 7, 2015

This black chick didn't die at Bohemian Grove

"The black character always dies first in the horror movie. This is some bulls---," I thought while awaiting my fate at the XOXO's "Bohemian Grove."My spidey senses tingled, and I cursed my girl Crystal Dempsey for inviting me out. I can't tell you what happened, but for a hot minute,  I thought I might be found chopped up in little pieces. That is now how the monthlong #celebrationoftonya is supposed to end.



Most of the Grove, an experiential theatrical production, isn't hair-raising. It's campy fun, and cool way to spend an evening in the woods outside of Charlotte. It starts with a ride in a passenger van about 40 minutes outside of Charlotte to historic farm for the performance. The show takes place all over the farm and outside. That's all I'm going to say about the performance so I don't spoil it for you.

If you're going, here are a few tips:

  • Wear comfortable walking shoes.
  •  Wear long sleeves and long pants. The mosquitos are no joke and covering up is the best protection. 
  •  Eat a full meal before you go, and bring snacks, such as trail mix or protein bars. (I'm growing so I get hungry quick)
  • Take advantage of the bathroom stop. (Ladies bring some tissue to the show. You may need to cop a squat)
  •  Bring an open mind. This is not your typical theater performance, but it's definitely one you won't forget.


Performances begin at 6:30 p.m. on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays, Today - May 30. Departure site will be revealed via email after reservations are made.
$50, which includes transportation to/from the Grove and cold beverages. For reservations: xoxoperformance@gmail.com

0 comments: